COURT & PRISON
Why did children turn to crime?
Look carefully at these pages from the Prison Admissions Register
for Isabella Petry and John
The information recorded there gives us some very useful clues. But some questions remain unanswered:
Isabella Petry was 14 when she stole
some sheets. She had been born in Scotland and worked as a servant.
She had scars on both
Key questions for you to think about (or, if you are in a group,
- Why had she stolen the sheets?
- Why steal something so basic?
- What do you think had happened to her to leave the girl scarred
on both arms?
- Why had she left Scotland?
John Parker was 15 when he stole some
cotton waste. He had been born in Nottingham and worked as a
porter. He had a scar on his
left wrist and another under the left side of his chin.
Both these children had turned to crime.
- Key questions for you to think about (or, if you are in a
- Why had he stolen cotton waste?
- What had happened to John to leave him scarred on his left
wrist and under his chin?
- Why had they risked being punished so harshly for so little
- What had driven them to take such desperate steps?
from Bosworth School answer the questions